Children too are a gift from the LORD, The fruit of the womb, A reward. – Psalm 127:3

Monday, July 04, 2011

Translocated Chromosomes and a Diet Dr Pepper Anyone?

Sorry it's taken me so long to write about our recent Dr's appointment. Seem's there is never enough time in the day or week even. But I am super glad when it's over, that's for sure! 
First off, it was super nice to sleep in that morning, even though it was only for about another hour. Every little bit helps! Got up, got a shower, got all pretty (and of course, I got my work clothes together since I had to go in after. But it's always nice to fix my hair!) and headed to Mickey D's. Yea, I know it's not good for my diet. BUT I was nervous and hungry. And I needed my caffeine! So I got myself a sausage cheese biscuit and a Large Diet Dr Pepper. Yum! We get down to the Clinic, and there was only 2 other people there, much different from the first trip we made there. We finally got into the room, and Dr Hill came in and shook our hand, blah, blah, blah. 
Basically he told us the same thing that he mentioned the day of my HSG test. All of Ben's hormone levels were perfectly normal, he just had a chromosomal abnormality. There are about 6 different things that could include. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_abnormality  
Might I add that we saw Dr. Hill for 6 minutes and it costs us $110?!?! I'm going to become a Dr!!! Ha :)
Ben has Trans-located Chromo's, hence the title. His number 4 and number 12 Chromosomes has switch. So he doesn't have too many, or too little. Dr Hill said what this meant for us is a 50% chance of miscarriage each time we conceive. The other 50% would be split: 25% of the time, we could have a baby with perfect chromosomes and the other 25% would have chromosomes like Ben. So our best chance for a child will be Genetic Probing (where they find the perfect embryo and implant it in my uterus). This will cost about an additional $4,000 on top of the $12-$15,000 for the IVF treatment alone. But we would have a 70% or higher chance of the transfer actually working and resulting in a healthy pregnancy. 
BUT we are going to hold off on all of this genetic testing and such, until Ben's urologist appointment 7/6/11. We believe that he has Varicocele.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002263/
His father had this medical problem and after having it taken care of, they conceived in 3 months....3 months!!!! How awesome would that be?!?!? So we are crossing our fingers that this is what our problem is, that we can get it fixed and be on our happy way to making a family!!! 
So this is the latest update for you. Sorry if I rambled, I am sure I did. Hope everyone has had a wonderful 4th of July...I had to work, so I am tired! 
Thank You to all our troops! God Bless!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment